Friday, April 17, 2009

Mom's first protest!

In the 60's, I was a teenager when all the hippie protests were going on, but I was never a part of that. I wanted to support those soldiers fighting in Viet Nam and couldn't understand why others didn't. However, things in Washington have gotten out of hand, so the other day, April 15th, I, with three friends I recruited, went to my first tea party. It was a great experience and I felt a pride for and love of this nation that I had not been feeling for a while. The people gathered at the tea party I attended (police and firefighters there estimated the crowd at between 4 and 5,000) were well behaved, and very patriotic. There were speeches, patriotic songs sung, signs waving, thousands of flags (U.S. and Texas state) and families of all ages. Little children carrying signs, old grandmas and grandpas carrying signs, moms and dads. All there because we love our country and want what is best for her and don't think government taking over our lives is the answer to our problems. There was no angry screaming or anything being thrown or burned, just people wanting to express their frustration peacefully as this country's constitution allows us to do. There was a feeling of camaraderie (probably misspelled) and even family. There was cheering and clapping and flag waving. I looked around in awe at all the people who felt much as I do and was grateful to know I am not alone. There were hundreds of these gatherings throughout our country on April 15th. It is time for the silent majority to speak up, peacefully, but together for the country we love, before we have that right taken from us and we can only remember the rights we once had that our Grandchildren will not know. Yes, that may sound extreme, but I think that is where we are headed if we don't wake up and stand together and speak out and hope to heaven that Washington will hear, or if not, that we can vote in some people who will hear us, "the people". I encourage you to go to these gatherings if your circumstances allow and just stand and be counted and do what you can to make a difference and stand up for our Constitution. Thanks for all you do to serve in our communities and our country. Kathy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience Kathy. Hopefully this is just the beginning of people wanting to make their voice heard, peacefully but powerfully. There's talk of more events for July 4th. But it's not just these big events, but the small things too like contacting our Congressmen and Senators (see the link on this site). HR 1207 for example will help bring more accountability to Washington by auditing the Fed.

    ReplyDelete